The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Products I've spent recently

It's been a looong time since my last post... :( I have been very very busy with work in general and I was also traveling a lot. One big thing that happened is my trip to the US - make up wise, I bought some quite nice and interesting pieces that I will feature in a future post.

Now, this time I want to write about the products that I recently spent (they've hit the pan!) and give you my honest and personal thoughts.

First thing is Bioderma Créaline H2O which I bought in Paris last year. On the photo below you can see my first ever Bioderma bottle. Likely everyone in the beauty community knows about this product and likely almost everyone likes it. I am not the exception - I love it. In general, the micellar solutions are very gentle, odor free, meant for sensitive skin and eyes. And this is really great, especially for contact lens wearers who have extremely sensitive eyes - like me :). That being said, this is definitely not a product to reach for if you want to take off the waterproof/water resistant eye make up. But, for everything else, there is the one and only Bioderma. I am currently using my second bottle and I will definitely continue buying this product.


Last year before my summer holidays I purchased a bag of sample-sized Biotherm Aquasource products (inside the nice blue bag you could find a moisturizer, a face wash and a toner). If I remember correctly there were two different options - dry skin package and normal/oily/combination skin package. Due to my oily skin, I opted for the second bag. I think it was around 20EUR here in Germany (Link). My skin was having a small nervous breakdown at that time - what I think happened is the fact that I was resting after a stressful period during my vacation and the combination of stress-free time with sun and sea made my skin reacting badly. Initially I thought it was due to the change in my skin care routine and I blamed the Biotherm line, but I was wrong. I tried everything, reverting to the old products, not putting make up, using natural products... Nothing helped. I stopped using those products for awhile and started using them again this winter and my face was great, actually it improved during the time I was using them.


Back to make up, Catrice Longlasting Eye Pencil Waterproof in 060 Moss Undercover is a really beautiful, deep emerald green eyeliner. I remember liking it a lot and using it during spring and summer. During the winter I reached for earthy tones and deeper colors, so this little thing was left forgotten. And then, some weeks ago I felt like using green eyeliner and I reached for this one and... What to say - the product was completely dry, literally the wand inside fell out and it was dry and stiff like plastic, so I had to trash it. This eye pencil is cheap so I don't mind throwing it away, but I was completely shocked. I have some water resistant Essence and Yves Rocher eyeliners and I never had a similar problem.


Nail polishes - here are two that I cannot live without: Essie All in One Base and Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Top Coat. Essie base coat really improved my manicure - I see that my nails are in a better condition than ever (they don't chip that easily, they don't get yellow...) and the manicure lasts longer than ever (up to 7 days and even then I change the nail polish because I get bored of the color). Great buy and it really takes forever to get through a bottle! I tried using other base coats and it was horrible, most of them just sit on your nail and you can literally peel off the whole nail polish on top of it.


I have to say the Sally Hansen top coat doesn't dry your nails in 30sec, but also this is not the case for Essie Good to Go or Séche Vite. My first fast drying top coat was Essie Good to Go and it was great because of the fast drying thing, but after some time it started feeling like a glue and also the brush wand was so short that I couldn't use the whole bottle (I think they improved that now). And then I bought the Sally Hansen one and I was thrilled because it was much more liquid. True, it takes longer to dry compared to Essie, but it doesn't shrink the nail polish beneath, it is not visible on the nails (a coat of Essie top coat has slightly white edges) and longer drying time is a sacrifice I am willing to make. I managed to spend the whole bottle and now I am using my second one.


Last but not least, L'Oréal Studio Secrets Professional Primer - slightly pink, very creamy silicone based primer. In general, it does resurface your skin a bit and maybe it helps keeping your skin mat for a few hours, but then you get the feeling that the foundation is really sitting on top of it and after some time that it is sliding down. I don't know if it makes sense, but while using this I always had a feeling that my skin is not absorbing the products but that everything is sitting on top of it. I would not recommend using this during the day, because the skin looks a bit artificial, but during the night it does help the longevity of make up. Oh, and it does make your skin super soft. 



So that's it for now. As always, I hope you found this post useful... Please leave any comments or suggestions below!

Hope you had a nice and relaxing weekend! :)
~Anelei

4 comments:

  1. I haven't used Crealine, but I had Sebium H2O. What's the difference, I haven't come across any reviews on Crealine for oily skin on other beauty blogs? Right now I am using ABCDerm solution, which is meant for baby skin, but it's great on my oily as well. It doesn't do its best with waterproof and it takes a bit longer to take off makeup with it than any other I've tried, but the price/amount ratio is the best with ABCDerm (as for pharmacy brands of solutions). All in One Base - perfection even for my poor nails. I avoid L'Oreal (and Max Factor) cosmetics in general, pretty bad ingredients and for a drugstore brand and what it offers - overrated. In that price range I can get for instance, Artdeco, at much better quality. But that's simply my opinion.
    Catrice - excellent enough as always for its price. Few products are actually a failure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Crealine and Sensibio are the same thing - they just changed the name. :) As for the Sebium, I didn't know about that, that's kind of a toner for oily skin? I bought Crealine for make up removal and I don't use any additional toner. The problem is I have super sensitive eyes, so I need something as gentle as possible and Crealine is super gentle. :) After that I anyway wash my face with some cleanser and apply a moisturizer.

      I agree with you on L'Oreal and Max Factor. They used to be much better. I do like some of L'Oreal foundations and mascaras, but it is usually hit and miss. Max Factor 2000 Calorie mascara was one of my favorite 10 years ago, but now my eyes are burning if I try to use it (I don't know if they changed the formula).

      You like Artdeco? I don't have anything from them, but they don't seem too expensive... Would you recommend something specific? :)

      Delete
  2. Sebium is also Bioderma's micellar solution (green bottle, for oily skin), but it is more sticky and it leaves the skin too dry in my opinion. 2000 Calorie mascaras were fine, but I can always find a decent replace. I don't have anything from AD (yet) but according to reviews, Artdeco is worth the money, especially eyeshadows, lipliners and blushes - they have beautifully decorated LE blushes, but I never managed to get any :( (I'm still dying inside for not getting Talbot Runhof blush). I do own their stippling brush and it's absolutely beautiful. :)
    Offtopic...
    [Inace, imas kod nas cure koje rade prirodnu kozmetiku i mozes ih kontaktirati preko fejsa, ne znam jesi cula - Green Girl prirodna aromakozmetika i Zimzelena kozmetika; one ti obje rade genijalne stvari za njegu i ciscenje lica, onako kako im opises kozu, ali ugl. preporucam od Green Girl ulje za skidanje sminke, zove se My Own Gentleman. I stvarno je divan i za masnu kožu, skine ti skoro svu sminku s očiju i ne peče... barem mene. Svakako isprobaj ako budes u mogucnosti.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, hvala na preporuci, kad potrosim sve silne preparative sto imam, budem probala! :)

      Delete